LOW FIVE 10/15/17
Planning Center Online, PCO, Planning Center, the Cent...that's all I've got. We all use it. Even my mother-in-law uses it at her church to schedule ushers. It's practically an American Church staple. "I'll send you a Planning Center request." Is the new, "I'll Myspace you." God, I'm relevant. But I digress. I love Planning Center. Something I've always found interesting is their top songs list. Each week they update the most popular songs every church in their system has picked to play for that next Sunday. Most of them are what you'd think. This Is Amazing Grace, Lion and the Lamb, Good Good Father, the usual suspects.
But what about the not so popular songs? What's their story? Songs of years gone by, trends that have faded, voices we no longer recognize. What about them? I did some digging. Turns out PCO goes more in depth than I expected. I got into the high 300's before I gave up. I didn't even recognize the songs once I got in that deep. I won't bore you with those kinds of things. As a compromise, let's call it a top 100 list. But oh no, we won't be starting from the top. We're going straight to the bottom. The last five songs of the Planning Center Top 100 List. Along with a surface level critique by yours truly!
96. You Are Good (Bethel Music) - I've never heard this until now. If you look at the rest of the album, there was plenty to overshadow what this track has to offer. I like the guitar parts. Nothing else really stood out. 96 seems appropriate.
97. All The Poor and Powerless (All Sons and Daughters) - First of all, I had no idea this song is from 2011, this thing is ancient in worship music years. I love this song though. That being said, I've never personally played it at any church, which I'm sure is why it finds itself so low on our list.
98. Because He Lives(Amen) (Matt Maher) - This song has Christian radio written all over it. That being said, I do love me some Matt Maher. It's only two years old, which means it's every mom's favorite new song.
99. Fullness (Elevation Worship) - This one surprises me. This song came out last year on the same EP as "Do It Again" from Elevation. This song never took off quite as well as "Do It Again" and it shows. In YouTube views alone, "Do It Again" comes in with 4 million, while "Fullness" is left behind with only 896 thousand. AND "Do It Again" comes in at 14 on the PCO top songs list. Sorry "Fullness"...why can't you be more like your brother?!
100. Come Lord Jesus (Even So) (Passion) - Our bottom pick coming in at 100...In the same category as our number 98 pick, this is full on Christian radio gold. It is also the only other song with parentheses. Coincidence? I think not!
Well there you have it. The first edition of LOW FIVE. I'm going to be doing this weekly. Please join me as we walk along the highs and the lows (I'm guessing mostly lows) of Christian worship music.. Until next time.